01 April 2007

Sleep, perchance to dream...

ay, there's the rub
That's all I've been able to do for the last week.
Sunday, 25 March: This weekend I noticed my blood pressure starting to rise. Then Sunday while my father-in-law was over in the morning I felt something damp. I went to the bathroom and noticed a gooey glob on my leg. Mucous plug? I called Steven and had him look at it. At first he didn't think it was but after looking online it really sounded like my mucous plug. I called my doctor and left a message. The other doctor in the practice was on call and returned my call and asked me to stop into Alexandria while she was there for a couple hours.
We arrived at the hospital and I was hooked up to a fetal monitor, blood pressure cuff, had probably 6 vials of blood drawn, and had a fetal fibronectin test run. Dr Salgado came in and looked at my swelling and blood pressure readings. We waited for lab results to come back in. About 4 hours later, labs were in and there was an elevated reading in uric acid. We left with instructions for bed rest until Tuesday and follow up with my doctor on Monday.
Monday, 26 March: We went to the doctor's office and she did an exam to check my cervical length. She could only confirm feeling about 1.5cm of it which left her uncomfortable since I was 32 weeks. She sent me for an ultrasound to check cervical length and also gave me a container to do a 24 hour urine collection to test for protein in my urine.
We went straight from the doctor's to the ultrasound office. They confirmed my cervical length was about 2.2 (Dr Salgado wanted it to be 2.5). They also checked the baby, amniotic fluid, etc. Then they wanted to do a 3-D ultrasound - for reasons still unknown other than they got a new machine and wanted to use it. While I was checking out, my doctor's office called to discuss the results of my ultrasound. The nurse started in with going to see the Perinatal radiologist and steroids and on and on and on....Stop, wait, what? I handed the phone to Steven because I was too overwhelmed to talk. We went home and I laid in bed and collected my urine certain that this too would pass.
Tuesday, 27 March: I dropped off my specimen after lunch and was feeling pretty good. Not that I was feeling bad to begin with.
Wednesday, 28 March: Steven left to drop off some items at his dad's house and came home and immediately started looking up something in one of our reference books. I was on the phone with work at the time and when I hung up, he said "we're going to the hospital." I failed another test. My protein came back at 800mg. Normal range is like 300. They wanted me to go in for 24 hours. Ok.... take a shower, pack a bag, get something to eat. We arrived after 6pm. The nurses immediately talked about getting a steroid injection. Um no, not yet. Don't think it's necessary really. Again, I was hooked up to a fetal monitor, blood pressure cuff, had blood drawn, and had to do yet another 24 hour urine collection.
Thursday, 29 March: Dr Fracasso stopped in and thought I had taken the steroid shot. He agreed that it was my choice and gave me the impression that after 34 weeks it would be of no difference. I said "well I'm 33 weeks today." He deferred to the perinatal radiologist to get their opinion. About 2pm, I was getting a bit anxious and asked Steven to find out when I was supposed to see the radiologist. She happened to be at the nurses's station. Apparently no one informed her ahead of time that I had been waiting. She did an ultrasound on a portable machine and the baby looked good. I mentioned being borderline pre-eclampsia and she said 'No, you have pre-eclampsia'. She, too, assumed I had taken the steroid shot and when I said that I hadn't she really gave me her opinion. She just didn't see why I wouldn't want to do it as the benefits to the baby are certain. She mentioned something about staying in the hospital because with pre-eclampsia, there is a a risk of the placenta detaching from the uterine wall. I said there is no way I can stay in the hospital for 4 weeks and she said, very dryly, "yes you can and we've had some women in here even longer." and with that she left.
Later that evening I was called to see her again as she wanted to run one last test on ultrasound. She gave me literature on the steriods that I asked for and checked a value called "resistance indicator" which checks my blood vessels to the placenta. Again, I fail another test. Not by much, but I fail it. She emphasized again the steroids. I went back to my room and after talking to Steven, I called the nurse to administer the injection. Part of my hesitation on steroids was that I did not want to start a chain of events that would leave me without options. Steroids can cause increase in blood sugar levels, which then require insulin injections to offset the glucose levels. I also did not want doctors to have an "excuse" for delivering me early without any real medical necessity. But after weighing it all out, the benefits for the baby are most important.
Friday, 30 March: Dr Fracasso came in and we chatted about when I might be getting out. He felt chances were good that I might get out that night, but plan on Saturday. He mentioned something in passing about inducing me at 37 weeks via C-section.... hm, yet something else to discuss. I mentioned going back to work and he recommended not "burning the candle at both ends." My blood pressure had been stablized, at least while lying down, and my glucose levels never went off the charts for me to require insulin (can I mention again that I don't think I have gestational diabetes?). My 24 urine test came back elevated to 810 buy my doctor was not worried about the small change. Finally at 7pm, the nurse came in and gave me my discharge orders! Bed rest, may not return to work, and a ton of "signs" to look for.
This weekend: So now I'm setup in the office for close proximity to the bathroom (and not having to go up and down stairs from our bedroom loft). Steven has been doing a great job of trying to get chores done and make sure I drink water and stay fed.... he's a great guy. I love him.

No comments: