20 April 2007

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Things that are annoying me here in the hospital:

  1. The annoying housekeeping woman. She comes in my room over half-a-dozen times a day: Empties trash - leaves. Later comes back cleans bathroom and floors - leaves. Later comes back to pick up the 'wet floor' sign - leaves. Later comes back several times a day to get gloves...as if there aren't gloves in other rooms? does she not have pockets to put gloves in? Dejame en paz!
  2. The food/dietician. I mentioned the food in another post. Part of the problem with the food for me is that they have me on a diabetic diet (which, as you know, I'm vehemently protesting this diagnosis). The diet is a 2200 calorie diabetic diet which consists of three meals and 2 snacks. Supposedly this is supposed to add up to 2200 calories. I beg to differ. I asked to be weighed last week and discovered that I lost 4 pounds - on bed rest where I do nothing but eat and lay around! I've talked to the dietician and she offered absolutely no help on how to keep up calories on this diet. My snack choices are either a cup of cereal, or 1 3-pack of graham crackers, or an apple with cheese or peanut butter. The main meals are mainly concerned with carbs - vegetables and protein? Forget it. The eggs are fake and the vegetables and protein are not necessarily available with every meal and when veggies are on the menu they are they are absolutely disgustingly overcooked. The "tomato and lettuce" salad is always frozen. I finally asked one of the food service gals if they had hard boiled eggs and she brings me some when I ask. (As a side note, when the perinatal radiologist saw my hard boiled eggs, she said "oh good source of protein and the cholesterol is good for the baby"). The next time that dietician comes in she's going to hear it from me.
  3. Dry as a desert. The air here is soooooooooooooo dry. They keep it dry to reduce bacteria. But because of this, I'm constantly congested and have a bloody nose.
  4. The nurses won't keep my door closed/cracked. There is a lot of hallway noise and I like to keep it at bay by closing my door most of the way, but inevitably housekeeping (see #1) or a nurse will come in and leave it open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann, I'm thinking of you! Hang in there. That precious baby will make it all worth it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Anne, Steve, and Zofia!! -from Steve+Julie